Saturday, June 18, 2011

Disappearing Nine Patch?

My sewing machine is still not working properly.  Sometimes the needle does not go to the centre position when I turn it on.  It's not really a problem, unless I forget to check it.  I was so excited about making another DNP quilt, (I know, I know!  I shouldn't be starting anything new!  But I just can't help myself.)  that I started to sew immediately.  And... well you guessed it.  I broke my needle!  It was so wedged in there that I had to use a pair of pliers to get it out.  Luckily I was wearing glasses because the tip of the needle flew off and hit me.  I put a new needle in and continued on with my DNP.  Here is what I have so far - 18 blocks, only 12 to go.  They are just on my design floor and are not arranged as they will be when it is finished.  I need more blocks to see how the colours work together.

I really shouldn't be calling it a DNP because I did not make any nine patches for this top.  I just didn't have enough large pieces of fabric in my stash.  But I did have strips of fabric measuring 3' that I wanted to use.  So I made up my own DNP blocks.

Here is what I did.  I cut the larger pieces from larger fabrics.  They measure 6' x 6'.  Then I cut two pieces of fabric measuring 3' x 6' for the sides.  For the small squares I chose a fabric that I used throughout.  It's the red in my quilt.  I cut one of those for each block measuring 3' x 3'.

Then I sewed them together - a 3' square to a 3' x6' rectangle and a 6' square to a 3' x 6' rectangle.

I finger pressed the seams in opposite directions and sewed my two pieces together.  And... Voila!  A finished block.  I need 30 of these for a baby or lap quilt - 5 blocks across and 6 down.  Easy, peasy.

1 comment:

nicolette said...

What a clever way to make the DNP blocks! They look adorable!