Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Bad News Day!

I spent my day at Sunnybrook Hospital yesterday. It is one of the best hospitals here in Toronto! My neurologist is Head of the Neurology Department, so I think I am in good hands. I had some more test done and then we waited for a bed. My doctor thought that I should be admitted immediately. Unfortunately they did not have a bed available! So much for all the cutbacks lately!! We went home and now I am waiting for a phone call to tell me when to come back to the hospital. I hope it will come today. I want to get this stuff over with!
I know that I haven't said much on my blog about my condition, but it has not been good lately. Since about a year ago I have totally lost the ability to walk. I am suffering from a lot of nerve and muscle pain and I can no longer put one foot in front of the other without the use of my walker. Sometimes even that doesn't work. Like about a week ago when I fell down as I 'walked' to the bathroom at 4:00am in the morning. I bruised my left foot very badly and have not been able to put my full weight on it since. Needless to say, I have not been able to walk at all since then. So now I have to sit in my wheelchair to get from one room to another at all times. I am too afraid of falling again. Yesterday, when I was at the hospital, the neurologist I was seeing told me that he is very puzzled with my condition. He has tentatively diagnosed me as having an immuno disorder. Apparently this is not a common disorder - only a chance of about one in a million of getting this! When I go back to the hospital today I will have to start some kind of steroid IV treatment. And maybe some Intravenous Immuno Globulin or something. I am not looking forward to that, but I know that things can't go on like this. Something has to be done!
So for the time being, I will just have to think positive thoughts, like those of the beautiful flowers that are growing in my garden. Too bad I couldn't take photos of all of them. It is too difficult to get around at the moment! But here is one of the urns I managed to plant a few weeks ago. These beautiful plants welcome all visitors to my front door. Because they are a couple of feet tall, I was able to reach them without any problems. I also planted a few other pots and a large container with some lettuce! I can hardly wait to enjoy a nice fresh salad - maybe in a few weeks or so!
Anyway, for the time being, these images will have to feed my psyche. I will need all the positive vibes I can get to make my way through all this treatment and hospital stuff!! Oh, did I tell you that I do not like hospitals! I guess there is no need to do so. No one likes hospitals!! Wish me luck. I hope to be back soon with some new creations.

2 comments:

Opal said...

Oh Hetty. I am so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please try to keep us updated, but I'll understand if you can't. *gentle hugs*

Oiyi said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds horrible. Melody, Napoleon, Caesar and I all send healing thoughts and good wishes your way.