Thursday, August 06, 2009

de Blaauw - A Blue and White Quilt

I am planning another trip up to Haliburton to visit my Mom today. My sister is doing the driving. There is a lot of paper work to do right now. I also want to bring her this quilt. I made this a few years ago at a Bee Night that our Guild held. It is a very simple 6in. block repeat. The star-like pattern is a secondary pattern that just happens when the blocks are put together. I love patterns like that! It is machine pieced and quilted and measures about 40in. by 60in.
Although not too big, I think it will make a nice lap quilt to replace the tattered hospital blanket to keep her warm while she sits in her chair all day. I call this quilt "de Blaauw", which means "blue" in Dutch. That was my mother's maiden name.

11 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

I love this quilt! I love squares in a quilt like this Hetty.

the dutch purple rabbit said...

super mooi.

nynke

Barb said...

I love your quilt....

Cathi said...

Beautiful quilt!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like secondary patterns too. They are like a bonus.

Keiko said...

This is so beautiful. I'm sure
your mother will love it!

The Calico Cat said...

I knew "Hetty" was Dutch. (I know one other Hetty - she lives in Alsmeer.)

Vicki said...

Yes it's pretty neat when you put the blocks together you have a new pattern come out ini your quilt. Your mom will love it and have a safe trip up north.

Opal said...

what a beautiful quilt. i love blue! your mother is going to love it.

Pat said...

I am a few days behind on posts (due to the tree emergency at our house). This quilt is GREAT. You did a nice job with it and I'm sure your mother will really enjoy it. Knowing she will be wrapped up in it on days you aren't there is kind of like you giving her an all-the-time hug!

rinie said...

Glad your mother got the "de Blaauw" quilt.
It is indeed beautifull.
Glad it made her warm and happy.