Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Trying to Keep Up

We just celebrated the long weekend in August (the first Monday of the month).  I don't know who thought this holiday up, but it is nice to have an extra day off in the middle of summer.  It is a Civic holiday, but unfortunately it doesn't have an official name.  There are dozens of things that it is called across Canada. Here in Toronto we call it 'Simcoe Day', in honour of the first Lieutenant Governor General of Upper Canada, John Graves Simcoe.


We had lovely weather, cool without humidity.  The sun was out for most of the time and it was nice to sit outside and enjoy it.  But I think I did too much - drove up north to visit my mother in the nursing home, (that's where I took the hummingbird photo) went out for dinner and attended a barbecue yesterday.  So today I am trying to catch up.  Should I 'Make a List Monday' or show what is on my 'Design Wall'?  I think I will just try to tidy up my sewing room and organize some of my UFOs.  I feel like I have a lot to finish this month and I think I should put it all into some kind of order.  So that's my plan.

I will leave you with this cute little Gold Finch on a sunflower which I took at my sister's house yesterday.




3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The goldfinches are so much fun to watch on the sunflowers. First they pull the petals off that are in their way and then they eat seeds.

Wacky Woman said...

I love the hummingbirds. I have some plants that attract them. Fun to watch. No Goldfinches that I know about here; but, we have some wild small parrots.

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures of your JapUSanese guests and
also the look in your beatiful garden!
But the goldfinch gets top prize!!
I have three goldfinches feeding in my garden. This is a first for me.

Makke.