Thursday, November 06, 2008

Finished Disappearing Nine Patch Quilts

- well, almost finished.

A few days ago I promised to show you the disappearing 9-patch quilts I had done. Sorry! Life, the great weather we are having, as well as Seabiscuit and Wilbur got in the way of that. I will show them to you now. This first one has already gone to one of the shelters here in Toronto. It is a 'Quilts from the Heart' quilt, so most of the fabric was supplied by our Guild. Because I wanted to experiment with the disappearing 9-patch, I used some of my own fabric too. As I
had some fabric left over, I decided to make another 'Quilts from the Heart' quilt by adding a bit more of my fabric. This quilt was the result. Because all the blocks were the same, I pieced it in rows, (one quarter of a block each) rather than in large blocks. This worked out really well because I could press the seams in opposite directions and everything lined up nicely.

Since I made two quilts out of one kit, I had to play with the batting and backing material in order to make them fit. I pieced some left over batting strips to finish this quilt, which was around 34inches by 45inches. Then I found some really cute fabric in my stash. Unfortunately it was just not wide enough for the back. The selvage sides had a cute border print. I decided to cut the fabric in half and add a couple of inches to the middle in order to make it fit, but then changed my mind because I thought it would look as if I ran out of fabric. Instead, I cut the fabric for the back into thirds and added two strips of another fabric to give me the length I needed. This was the result. I think it worked.

And finally, the top of the last disappearing 9-patch. I have not finished it yet - still cutting strips to create a sort of piano key border. But I think this block is out of my system - for now anyway. Now onto Christmas stuff. Time is going by too quickly!




9 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Love your quilts of the heart!!

The last disappearing nine-patch will be an adorable quilt too!!

Eileen said...

Oh I love how you did that backing. So creative. I never seem to have a big enough piece for a backing..this is such a good idea.

Can't wait to see what you do next. ;-)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

those are the prettiest disappearing 9 patch quilts that I have seen. I like the color choices. I sometimes add a strip and include one leftover block from the front in the strip and then it doesn't look so much like I ran out of fabric for the back.

Opal said...

so pretty!

hakucho said...

Marvelous quilts!! You are an amazing quilter :)

Betty said...

I've always wanted to try a disappearing nine patch quilt. Yours turned out beautiful! What a wonderful gift to the shelter!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Thank you for stopping by and your kind words. I just had to come and say Hi. I love your quilt, especially the colors, so bright and fun!! This might be a quilt I need to try! have a super day.

annemariesquilt said...

Your disapearing nine patch are very nice and colourful..
Love it!!

Winny said...

Love the quilts. Wish I was able to do nice things like you and you do them so quickly.