Monday, June 11, 2012

Spending Time Outdoors

Since I have joined the 30x30 Challenge I guess I should tell you what I have been doing.  This past weekend I spend a great deal of time out in my garden.  Yesterday it was more like the whole day.  I pulled weeds and transplanted a couple of things that had gotten lost amongst other plants - invasive plants.  I have a lot of those.  They were planted without my knowing what exactly they were and how they reproduced.

But it is not all bad.  Here is a shot of Lysimachia nummularia "Aurea".  It is commonly called 'Creeping Jenny".  I planted it several years ago in a pot because it has a wonderful creeping habit and a lime green colour that I love,  Every year some of it survives the winter.  This year, because we had almost no winter to speak of, it is growing like, well, creeping jenny.  And to top it off, it is producing tiny bright yellow blossoms.


So after digging and planting all weekend, I decided that today would be my day of rest.  So I took my book outside and made myself comfortable in the shade.  No sooner had I started to read when a flock of Goldfinches came by.  They were after the seeds I had hung in the apple tree.  I love those little birds.  I love the way they fly in a sort of dance through the sky.  I love the way they chirp to let their arrival known.  And I love the way they hang off the 'thistle sock' to enjoy the seeds.


I have my air conditioner on and it is cooler inside than it is outside.  So I think I will come in and do a bit of sewing.




3 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

How clever. One time the grands and I put peanut butter on pine cones and rolled them in seeds for the birds. Put them hither and yon in the yard. Then one morning I watched a squirrel manage to steal the entire pine cone and run off with it.

Pat said...

We have goldfinches come by here occasionally but I think it's only on their way to (and back from) someplace else. I have creeping Jenny that is doing a nice job of covering a whole area under the bushes out front...which is what we wanted it to do. I love its color, also!

Dolores said...

Beautiful photos. I love colourful birds and your creeping Jenny would look good in my backyard.