Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wildflower Wednesday and Other Stuff

Today\s wildflower is Jack-in-the-Pulpit, also know as Arisaema triphyllum.  It is a woodland plant.  There are several species.  The kind I have in my garden are green, but they also come in brown striped and an almost dark burgundy.  There may be more.  This one was growing in the park near my house.


Last spring I found a bulb in the path around my raised flower beds.  I guess the squirrels had dug it up.  I had no idea what it was, but it looked sort of like a tulip bulb, so I stuck it into the ground beside some other tulips.  I was very surprised when it came up and turned out to be a Jack-in-the-Pulpit


And where last year there was one plant, this year there are five or six.  This plant is poisonous, although native peoples prepared and boiled the bulb and ate it as a vegetable, I would not recommend this.


I also worked on a Journal Quilt this week.  The president of our quilt guild gave us a challenge - to make a journal quilt.  On Monday evening we displayed them and they were judged by the guild's members.  I did not win anything, but I feel this journal quilt is very significant to me.  It is a photograph of prostate cancer cells.  I found it on the internet.  My husband was recently diagnosed with this cancer and I thought this would make a great journal of our 'going through treatment' time.  I printed the picture onto cotton fabric that had been ironed to a piece of freezer paper.  Then I free motion quilted it in tiny circles to indicate the individual cells.  And that is what I ended up calling it - just simply "Cells".   It measures 8 1/2 by 11 inches.


I have also been working on my hexie quilt too, but not too much.  I have another baby quilt to finish today and then I will concentrate more on the hexies.


We have had heavy rains here for the past day or so.  I heard that we got around 50ml in some areas of the city.  The Don Valley Parkway is closed right now due to flooding.  And we are expected to get more rain today.  Since it was so gloomy yesterday I started thinking about what I will work on when I go outside this summer.  I know my plants need the rain, but I want some nice summer weather soon.  So perhaps a crochet project would be good.  That at least won't blow around when I am working on it.  So I started making hexagons yesterday afternoon and joining them as I went along.  I have lots of left-over yarn so this will be good to keep me busy and get rid of some of my stash.



1 comment:

Wacky Woman said...

I can't believe how much you get done in a day Hetty. Gardening, quilting, sewing, and crocheting. My you must be organized.