Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Wednesday Wildflower and Some Playing Around

I drove my scooter into the ravine yesterday and discovered this patch of Virginia Waterleaf plants.

This plant is native to a large area of eastern North America.  The flowers on these plants were white, but they can be light blue or light purple too.  The leaves develop white patches and look like water marks, hence the name of Waterleaf.  Its biological name is Hydrophyllum virginianum, which literally means waterleaf of Virginia.  The leaves are edible as a salad when young.  They become bitter with age.  The Native Peoples used the roots to make a tea to treat diarrhea and dysentery.  The leaves were chewed to heal mouth sores and cracked lips.

Now that I am finished the baby quilts that were on my list, I have had some time to 'make fabric', my favourite pastime.


I have no idea what I am going to do with these blocks - maybe make another bag or a scrappy quilt.  What do you think Mimi?


"I think you have too much time on your hands.  Meow!"

I wish I had more hours in the day.  Today I am planning to make a batch of strawberry-rhubarb jam, as well as buy a few more sunshine plants for several pots that have no plants in them yet.  I also have about a hundred new members' names to add to our guild's membership list.  Ah, the joys of being on the executive.  And of course there are the usual chores - the dishes and mess in the kitchen, laundry, watering of plants, both inside and out.  Jeez, I'm tired already.

Sew long for now.





3 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

Oh I was worried when I read your first sentence, sure you had driven into the ravine by accident and was perhaps injured or stuck. But, it appears you did that on purpose. :-) Sounds like you are going to be very busy today.

dutchcomfort said...

Lovely story about the Virginia Waterleaf! Love your fabric that’s in the making!

Barb said...

Oh...I love your play time....enjoy your canning. Yes, sometimes I too wish there was more time in the day.!!