Friday, July 31, 2009

In Progress

I am trying to turn my PIGs (Projects in Garbage bags) into WIPs (Works in Progress). Mimi is helping me - sort of. She wants me to show you this one that I am currently working on. It's going to be a fun quilt. I got the pattern out of "The Best of Black Mountain Quilts" by Teri Christopherson (That Patchwork Place). I love this book. I don't think there is a quilt in there that I don't like. I bought the book many years ago but I have not finished one thing out of it yet. This one will be the first! It is called, "Watermelon Picnic".

I have made almost all of the blocks, but because I am making it one row wider than the original pattern, I need eight more blocks. So I have 6 of the red block left to do. I hope to get them finished this evening. They are really fast to do once I get going on them. I have actually made 2 green block too many, so now I have to decide if I will make it a little bit longer. It will mean making a total of 6 more block on top of the 6 I have left to do now. My DD wants to use this as a picnic quilt. Can you imagine? She is going to put it on the ground and sit on it! Ouch! That hurts! If I make it 8 by 8 blocks it will be 60inches square. If I add another row it will be 60in by 72in.

Mimi says, "Just keep making those blocks, I love them!" But I'm not sure. What would you do?

8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I remember that quilt from one of her books. I would have a hard time finishing it knowing they are going to throw it on the ground and get grass stains on it, and maybe food stains. I think I would make them a nice denim one and finish this one later. Maybe she has her heart set on this one though. Hard decision.

Donna said...

perhaps the picnic quilt is intended as a picnic table cover? However its used at least it'll be used and enjoyed....

Pat said...

Maybe you could back it with something like denim so any grass stains would not come through that and the batting? I'd have a lump in my throat, too, if I knew it was going to be put on the ground. That is WAY too nice to get ruined by being used on the ground, in my opinion!!!

Reddirt Woman said...

I think I'd have to say to DD that she could get a ground sitting quilt at WallyWorld... As much as I know you love DD you will have put a lot of work into it. Oh, my...

Helen

BTW.. that quilt is going to be fun AND beautiful.

Vicki said...

Oh my I think my thoughts are with several of the others in that all the work and such a lovely quilt only to be put on the ground, walked on, sat on, food spilt, ARG!!!! As Reddirt Woman says, get one at WallyWorld for that purpose.

dutchcomfort said...

A picnic quilt, this one, to sit on, and make grass stains in them and throw a bottle of orange juice on top of it and tuna salad sandwich stains... Oh my, no way!

IKEA has wonderful fleece blankets to have a picnic on!

Mimi is right! Just keep on making those blocks, they look fabulous! And you will find a wonderful destination for this quilt!

Opal said...

mimi looks adorable amidst your work. i too am trying to clear out some of my old projects, but it's so hard not to start something brand new. self-discipline is not something i come by naturally. :)

Rinie said...

If I would be a quilter I would keep on making those blocks, just for Mimi. I am prejudiced. Mimi loves them and that is enough for me.
Rinie.