Thursday, July 21, 2011

We're Having a Heatwave......

I thought it would be fun to record the progress on my mystery pumkinsquash, but our weather has been so hot over the last few days that this ridiculous thing has started to ripen.  And... it's turning orange.  So it must be a pumpkin!  It appears that I have not been the only one keeping an eye on it.  Can you see the little bite mark?  That must have been my resident squirrel.  Guess I am going to have to fight him for it.
25 inches around

Here is the second pumpkin that was fertilized on this vine.  It is actually bigger than the first one and it is still growing. 
26 inches around
And here is the smallest pumpkin.  It may seem bigger than the others but that is because I zoomed in to take the photo.
18 inches around

It's hot, hot, hot in Toronto today.  We are going to have a high temperature of 37C but with the humidity it will feel like 47C.  That will probably set a record. 

I was out early this morning, watering my potted plants and hanging baskets.  We haven't had any rain for a long time.  The sun was just starting to come up while I was out there.  I had my camera to take photos of the pumpkins, so I used it to capture the sunrise.  It is actually hotter outside than inside.  I am expecting Vicki from Felines and Fibre Arts to come over this morning.  I think we will be hiding downstairs in my cool basement. 

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have been in the basement a good part of this heat wave too. I have dehumidifiers running down there so it is dry cool air. I hope you stay cool today.

Terry said...

This hot, humid weather seems to be great for the vegetables! Love watching your pumpkins grow! :0)

Wacky Woman said...

My gosh, it is as if you can actually see it grow. Nature is so facsinating.

Rinie said...

What fun, Hetty, those growing monsters in your garden.
On the other hand, they are beautifull.
I was up early also this morning. Watered al our veggies and some flowers and my 25 potted plants.

Makke.

Barb said...

How fun is your little mystery vine...so glad you kept it.

Dolores said...

All I did this morning was open the door to check on mail. That was bad enough. I made it to our last quilting night and I'm hibernating inside until it becomes a bit more decent outside. Stay cool.

em's scrapbag said...

Well won't you be ready for Halloween.

the dutch purple rabbit said...

send some of that heat over please. my holidays just started and it is still raining.

mmmm they look already so yummie i wouldn't blame the one from the bite marks

Reddirt Woman said...

By Jove, Hetty, I think you have yourself a bit of a pumpkin patch growing! What fun we all have had watching your volunteer and trying to figure out what it was going to be.

As for the picnic quilt, I also felt a knot in my tummy when you said DD was actually going to use it as a picnic quilt. I loved it and could hardly believe she would put it on the beach. Maybe a scrap quilt, but that quilt was too gorgeous to be putting on the ground. It would have looked much better on my bed...lol