Saturday, May 12, 2012

Flowers to Match My Flying Geese

I was outside in my garden yesterday and I noticed that some of my plants are blooming in calming pinks and purples.  I couldn't help thinking that they matched my flying geese blocks from my last post.  I have a few Luminaria in a lovely purple shade.  My garden used to be overrun with these plants, but I think I have been keeping them under control.


My early irises are in bloom.  I moved these plants a few weeks ago in order to clear out a patch of garden that had very poor soil.  They look kind of crowded, don't they?  I will move them back to their original spot next year. We are supposed to get a few yards of triple mix delivered today, so that I can get on with my planting.


Here is a pretty pink Bleeding Heart.  It is growing in some heavy shade, making them late in blooming.  I have plans for this plant too next year.  I feel like I am always digging something up.  I guess that's why they say a gardener's work is never done.


Although not a purple or pink plant, I want to show you my Euphorbia.  There are 2008 species in this plant's family.  Those pretty yellow flowers are really not true flowers, but rather, yellow leaves.  This plant is to Poinsettia which are also in the Euphorbia family.


I had to water a few plants that were recently transplanted, so while I had the hose out, I cleaned out the birdbath and filled it with fresh water.  No sooner had I turned my back when I heard loud splashing sounds behind me.  It was a robin who had come to take a bath.  A couple of his friends were waiting in the apple tree for their turn.


It is going to be a beautiful day.  The sun is shining and the temperature will be around 23C.  I think it is going to be a gardening day and not a sewing day.  I still have a lot of applique work to do on my Queen and Her Court quilt.  I have until the 11th of August to complete it.  That's a long time, but it is getting more and more difficult to cram all of my hobbies into one day. 


5 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Don]t you think we are always kind of influenced by nature’s colours? Love those photo’s!!
Is it a little red robin in the bird bath?
Cuuute!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Is this one of those 'which came first' scenarios? Your nature photos are wonderful. I love the late spring blooms.

Wacky Woman said...

Beautiful Hetty!

hakucho said...

That robin is just too cute taking his bath! I bet it would have made a cute video ;)

Vicki said...

Love your garden pictures. Too bad the sun didn't last and we ended up with a cloudy day yesterday. Looks like we might finally see some of that sun this afternoon. Enjoy your day, an by the way your flying geese look great.