Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Today Was a Yellow Day!

When I went outside to view my garden this morning, I noticed several plants with new blooms. And the nice thing was, they were all in shades of yellow! And I love yellow! Well, I love all colours, but these yellows are absolutely breathtaking!

Aren't these yellow lilies exquisite! I planted these many years ago and they continue to come up every spring. I don't remember the name of this one. I wish I did though. It makes each flower so much more personal when it has a name.
This gorgeous yellow bloom is a cactus flower. The interesting thing is that it is a variety of cactus that is cold hardy in our zone! I bought it on impulse a couple months ago and planted it into a pot. I was a bit leery of putting it in the garden and letting it sit there all winter. I thought it would freeze. But then my son reminded me of the cactus we had seen out in Alberta. They grew all over the place, even on top of mountains! So I think I will transplant this one into the garden in the fall and let it over-winter there. This large trumpet-like flower is called, Angel's Trumpet, Brugmansia 'Grand Mariner'. This is the first bloom to appear on it. It is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait for more flowers to come in the following months!
I know this flower does not look yellow, but it is! It's a new variety of Shasta Daisy. It's called Broadway Lights. The flowers are a very soft pale yellow. Very pretty!

No comments: