Friday, October 05, 2007

New Plants in My Garden

Toad Lilies - Tricyrtis hirta
Look what I found in my garden this week. Toad Lilies! Until last spring, I had never even heard of them. I found some plants at a sort of up-scale garden centre. They are considered woodland plants - that is, they do well in moist, shaded areas under trees and shrubs. Since I have lots of places like that in my garden, I decided to buy a couple of plants and try them out. They don't flower until the fall, but when they do, watch out! They are absolutely stunning! Each flower is only about an inch in diameter, but the plants are covered in them.
I will have to see how they survive our cold winters. If they do, I think I will add a few more to my garden next year. It is so nice to have something as pretty as these little lilies flowering when almost everything else in my garden has already given up and died back for the impending winter!

No comments: