Saturday, July 18, 2009

Not My Choice!

I am busy quilting the lamb baby quilt this weekend, but I just couldn't resist making the Friday Party block. We're at week 29 already. This week's block is called, "Mrs. Morgan's Choice". It is a 12inch block. QP thought it reminded her of the blades of a Dutch windmill and I agree. And because I am originally from Holland, I decided to do the background in a blue and white fabric - sort of reminiscent of Delft Blue pottery.



I used a wild batik for the blades because I wanted to give them depth. I thought the block would be 'flat' otherwise. I don't know how long it took me to make this sucker, but let me just say that it was a long time! Lots of half square triangles and a lot of patience! I like how it turned out, but it definitely is not my 'choice' for a block. This is definitely a one of a kind. And now back to quilting the little lambs!


8 comments:

the dutch purple rabbit said...

i agree. lots of work for a small peace. The good thing is you're not behind.

nynke

*karendianne. said...

Oh I think its a great block and the batik's were a great choice!!!

Pat said...

I like it, too....it's a very interesting block. I always marvel at how many different blocks can be made using half-square triangles.

Barb said...

I really like that one...and I do love the batik's

em's scrapbag said...

Your block looks fabulous!

*karendianne. said...

Just returning to peek at this block. It's going to look really good in a quilt with other blocks, Hetty. I'm thinkin'...

Reddirt Woman said...

Whew... that one looks like a lot of work to me. but I love the fabrics you used and the batik does pop the blades of the windmill... but, dang... That pattern would scare the c-rap out of me. I'd have to have been quilting for twice as long as you to have the nerve for all the halves and all. Good job.

Helen

Lynda said...

The colour of the 'blades' is very metallic and looks really dynamic!