Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sometimes Things Don't Turn Out the Way You Want

I know Halloween is over, but I am sort of stuck in a time warp! I realize that I last told you that I was getting ready to fly around on my broom, scaring kids and painting Mimi black and eating chocolates, carving pumpkins and decorating the front porch and just making a complete and utter fool out of myself on Halloween! But, sadly to say, all of that never happened - except for the part about making a fool of myself. That I did! Big time! And after that, time stood still - for 5 days now! There are still uncut pumpkins sitting on my kitchen table! Unstuffed, old clothing and a smiling scarecrow's head lying on the floor. Lots of Halloween stuff that didn't get put out for anyone to enjoy! Only the bowl of candy is almost empty. I feel as if Halloween has not happened yet! It's like I'm still waiting for it! I was not able to take part in much of what went on this All Hallow's Eve! I could not do much more than sit in my recliner, with a bag of frozen peas on my feet! But now it is time to put everything away for another year and hope that next year will be better than this one was. It is time to get on with my life!

I think I am on the mend. At least I hope I am! Perhaps I should back up a bit and tell you what happened on that fateful day last week - Halloween day.

I fell that day - not once, not twice, but three times. The first fall was not too bad and I was able to get up and walk away. The second fall was a terrifyingly humiliating experience! I was going through the doors at the Y, into the parking garage. The door closed on me and knocked me off my feet. I leaned back against the door as I fell, but it opens inwards and I just slid to the ground, cane, heavy bag containing wet towel, wet bathing suit, wet pool shoes and all. The humiliating part was that I couldn't get up again! There was nothing to hold onto or pull myself up on. Luckily for me one of the aquafit instructors was just leaving and was able to help me back up onto my feet. She was terrific! Such strength! I didn't think anyone would be able to just pick me up and set me on my feet! I guess that's what working out at the Y can do for you! Incredible, isn't it? But before she was able to come to help me up, a dozen people converged on me and offered their help. I even heard a voice over the PA system calling for all employees to go to the parking garage to help out! How utterly humiliating! I wished I could just disappear! I don't know my rescuer's name, so I can't thank her personally in this post, but when I find out, I will let you all know who my hero is! She walked me to my car after she got me onto my feet. I was soon on my way home. There was not much time left before the ghosts and witches were coming out. And I still had lots of decorating to do. I was in a hurry! Too much in a hurry it seems!!!!

I still wanted to make a couple of scarecrows out of old clothing and newspaper before the evening started - a couple of scarecrows to sit on my porch and maybe scare the little trick or treaters! I was looking for a straw hat, which I knew I once had, but couldn't find. As I went down the front stairs to look in the hall closet, I lost my balance and fell for a third time. This time I knew it was serious! I heard my ankle 'tear' or something like that. Maybe it was more like a 'pop'. I felt a sick feeling in my stomach. My toes sort of curled up and I could not put any weight on my feet. The pain was excruciating! I managed to crawl and slither my way up the stairs. Luckily for me there were only four steps! I crawled to the nearest couch in the living room and tried to pull myself up, but I couldn't. My feet hurt too much and my ankle felt as if it was broken! So I spent half an hour on the floor, waiting for my husband to come home and help me. After he got me to my feet, I still was not able to do much! No more decorating! No more pumpkin carving. Those thngs were out of the question! Dinner was a half cooked 'Transylvanian Ghoul-ash'. We ate it 'as-is' and miraculously, it was quite tasty! But my feet were a mess and I could not walk. My husband put the uncarved pumpkins on the front porch and turned on the light. The little ghosts and goblins came by the dozens - about 180 of them before the night was over - more than we have ever had at our house before! He handed out chocolate bars, while I sat with a bag of frozen peas on my feet and felt sorry for myself! I ate painkillers by the handful all night long and when I got up in the morning, my feet, toes and ankles were black and blue. Every bone and muscle in my body ached! I have been confined to my favourite reclining chair since then! Stairs give me anxiety attacks! I don't even want to walk past them, never mind use them!

So, I did not get any Halloween decorating done! I did not even start my broom! My DH handed out the candy to the kids who came to the door. I didn't even hollow out a pumpkin and carve a face in it! But I did have this lovely wooden scarecrow, which I painted several years ago. It served its purpose nicely. Isn't he cute? Mr. Scarecrow saved the day! He was put by the front entrance too! Not to scare anyone, but to welcome them to our house!! I have never posted a photo of him before, so I am glad to be able to do so now! He was the best thing that happened to Halloween! I love this guy and put him out on the porch every year! Oscar likes him too. Especially the raffia that hangs down. He likes to play in it - or just sit under it. Mimi likes it too! She was very happy that she didn't have to dress up as a black cat and ride on the back of my broom! So now that Halloween is over, I am going to put this guy back into a cupboard until next year. Then I will clean up and put away the other Halloween things. Halloween is 360 days away and I don't need these reminders! Next week, when I am feeling better, I will cut the pumpkins and get them ready for some serious baking! I think I will make a pie, some cookies and muffins. I also want to make some delicious pumpkin soup. But until then, I just want to get out of this time warp! Halloween is over - thank goodness! And I survived it, even if just barely.

No comments: