Monday, October 01, 2012

A Day at the Markham Fair

Day 1 of Blogtoberfest.
Click on the icon on my sidebar for more information.
 
We went to the Markham Fair yesterday. 


The weather was fantastic while we were there.  The sun was warm and bright.  There were lots of farm animals.  I loved the cows the best!  They are my favourite.  There were tables full of vegetables, as well as flowers, plants and flower arrangements that had all been judged.  There were lots of ribbons, prominently displayed.
 
There was artwork done by children and senior citizens.  And, of course, quilts - lots of quilts and other crafty things.  I was in my glory.  I was able to talk to some other quilters.  That's always fun.
 
Another building had baked goods and preserves.  Oh, my!  Yum, yum!  The sight of them made me want to rush home and bake something.  I may still do that this morning.
 
My DH was excited about the old machinery.  Most of it was still working.  There were machines that dug potatoes, shucked corn and one that cut slices of a huge log into perfect circles. 
 
I watched a young girl of about 10 years of age walk her goat around a ring.  There were 7 other goats in competition with hers.  But she won first place!  Her happy smile made me happy too. 
 
I have not been to the fair in many years.  We used to take our class there, when I was still working and before all the cutbacks that have taken place lately.  It was a great experience and I am glad we took the time to visit yesterday.
 
 

5 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

How fun, to expect a post from you every day this month (o:
Looks like you had a great day at the fair!

Terry said...

Sounds like lots of fun! :0)

em's scrapbag said...

I love to go to the fair. Sounds like it was a good one.

dutchcomfort said...

Thats sounds so nice, I wish we had Fairs like that!

Monica said...

Blogtoberfest! I think I would hate the very sight of my blog if I tried to post every day. Good luck!