Friday, October 14, 2011

I Am Easily Distracted!

I've been AWOL.  This has been a short week because of Thanksgiving's Day last Monday.  Yes, I've been busy, but that is not the real reason that I haven't posted anything for over a week.  I found the book, 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' in large print at the library.  I had read it before, but that was about 40 years ago.  I couldn't put it down.  So I just sat around and read. 

The only quilting I got done was on the Scrap Quilt that I was working on.  It is 40in X 40in.  That is as big as it is going to get because I ran out of the white fabric.  But I think it's big enough.

On Tuesday I found a huge bag of fabrics at my back door.  A quilty friend who is cleaning up her stash left them for me.  In the bag I found some beautiful pieces of Laurel Burch fabrics.  They were all cut up and ready to sew.  There was even a pattern sheet in the bag.  It's for a Grandmother's Braid quilt.  I had never done one of these before.  So, even though I had all kinds of things to finish, I whipped these pieces out and started sewing them together.  I am not easily distracted am I?  I mean, wouldn't any quilter get excited with these fabrics and want to sew them into something, especially when the pieces were all cut out already?

I think I will but them together with a dark blue sashing strip between them. 

10 comments:

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

If there are enough, it would make a pretty sweet border around your scrap quilt!!

dutchcomfort said...

The first quilt fabrics I bought were Laurel Burch fabrics. So happy and bright and I love al her felines!

You have two gorgeous quilts to work on!

Pat said...

Love that braided look on quilts!

quiltingnana said...

you are lucky to have a friend leave such goodies....love the braid

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love those Laurel Burch fabrics, and already cut, wow!! I moved my pile of Laurel Burch last night to the open shelves.

Terry said...

Oh I love those braids!! They're going to make a beautiful quilt! :0)

the dutch purple rabbit said...

i finally found some time to visit you're blog.
the new camera is making real nice pictures.
the 40 by 40 quilt is looking amazing.
i saw some knitting. did you like knitting again.

Wacky Woman said...

Love, love that braid.

quiltmom anna said...

You lucky lady Hetty, I love Laurel Burch fabrics. Her colors are always so stunning. Recently I found some available on Hancocks of Paducah's website for 5.98 a yard so I just had to buy them. They are just so beautiful to look at -it will be hard to cut them up.
I love your braid - it is going to be a spectacular quilt. I think is is so nice that the fabric was given to someone who is going to enjoy using it.
Regards,
Anna

Diane said...

Beautiful colours and a pattern that really shows them off.