Monday, September 07, 2009

Last Weekend of Summer

Today marks the unofficial end of summer. School begins tomorrow! Where did the summer go? Last June one of the teachers who works with my DD asked me to help with a felt 'quilt' her students had been making. Each student had designed a felt square and then those squares where supposed to be joined together to make a wallhanging. But their efforts to sew everything together had not resulted in anything that could be hung on a wall. The problem was that the 'squares' weren't square.

So I squared them up and decided to add a sashing. I used a quilt-as-you-go sashing. I think it gave the individual parts more definition. I also had to sew down some of the decorations, because the students had used white glue, paint and hot glue to add their decorations and pieces of felt and these were falling off. It was difficult to sew through them, but after much calculating, cutting, sweating and hand sewing, I came up with this.
I think it came out okay. And Mimi and Oscar seem to like it!

Mimi: "Meow! I'm not staying. I'm just passing through!"

"Thanks Mimi." I think Mimi just wanted to be sure there would be lots of white cat hairs on the quilt when I take it over to the school tomorrow.

Yesterday we took another trip up to Haliburton to visit my mother who is still in the hospital up there, waiting for a space in a nursing home. On the way up there, we stopped at a roadside picnic spot to eat our lunch.
I am pleased to be able to tell you that my Mom looked well - probably the best I've seen her since her strokes and other problems and ultimate admission to the hospital. We took her outside to sit and visit with her in the warm sunshine. It was a nice way to end the summer.
Our next trip to Haliburton will probably not happen until the Thanksgiving long weekend. And by then they could have snow up there!

4 comments:

Barb said...

Love the quilt.

Pat said...

You might be sorry you did such a good job on that quilt...as the teacher may do this project with another class and you'll get asked to "rescue" the quilt again!!! LOL I'm glad the visit with your mom went well.

dutchcomfort said...

Glad your mom was doing a bit better!

The quilt is gorgeous! You did a great job with the sashings!

The Calico Cat said...

I like that felt quilt, what ages were the kids, do you know?