Wednesday, October 21, 2009

'Scraps' - Another Charity Quilt Finish!

Today is day 21 of Blogtoberfestl. I'm still here, but my internet provider is making things very difficult for me. I have been trying all morning to get on the internet, but it just wouldn't let me. I finally gave up and just as I was going to turn my computer off and go back to bed, it worked!!

So now I can show you my latest finish. It's another charity quilt. I think this may be the last one for this year. I have to get on with my Christmas stuff and also I found a couple of UFOs that are fall related and I think I should finish them first. This little quilt measures 35in. X 45in. It is made up of scraps from my children's-fabrics scrap bin. The blue was a piece of 100% cotton that I had bought many, many years ago and wanted to use up. The pattern is the Disappearing Nine-Patch. I absolutely love that pattern!

Now for the quilting - I don't love it so much. I decided to do a bit of experimenting. I did circles freehand with my machine. I went around each circle twice and then started a new circle. I just kept going until I ran out of bottom thread - which I did very often. This technique uses a lot of thread. I think I used about 1.5km in this quilt - maybe more! And I am really not that crazy about the way this quilting looks. I have to admit, it was kind of fun to do and it is just a charity quilt so I was able to experiment, but I'm just not loving it. Do you know what I mean? Mimi came over to look at it, but she did not like it either. At least she didn't want to sit on this quilt. I wonder if it is that little scrap of dog fabric in the bottom row. Mimi is kind of finicky!

8 comments:

Cara said...

I can kinda see it working, the quilting, because of the blue, and I see two fish tails meeting with the disappearing 9p. So they look like bubbles!

The Calico Cat said...

Love that I SPY!

the dutch purple rabbit said...

mimi. you're right wat does a dog and a cat do on the same quilt.

i like the quilt and the circles are not that bad.

nynke

Pat said...

I like the circles, too....BUBBLES is right! This will make some child very happy.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I've gotta make my 9 patches from the halloween swap into disappearing 9 patches. So it is nice to see your project. Cute. Thanks.

nicolette said...

This quilt will be treasured by the child who receives it. It’s very happy and sweet!

Love your new blogheader!!

Exuberant Color said...

A friend was telling me there was a way that this quilt looks like squares floating on a background. Now I see what she means. So I see it means I have to use the same fabric in the middle squares on each side all of the way through the quilt. I don't know if I can do that..........but I really like yours.

LizzieJane said...

I also like the circles. It is such a lovely colorful quilt that I am sure will be lovely and snuggly for someone.
Great job Hetty!
x