Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday's Flowers and More

Did you think I was going to show you some hexies? Well, I will do exactly that as soon as I show you this gorgeous Azalea. I received this wonderful plant from a friend last night. Isn't it lovely? The colour is fantastic! Just what I needed to cheer me up on this gloomy, rainy, very cold and windy day.


So here are the hexies I made this week. No, they are not flowers, but they are little units for the 'Quilt Wannabe'. I have made 12 of these already. Now I have 6 more. I need to make another 6 of these to create the design in the quilt.

Several people emailed me for the apple cake recipe. So here it is. I baked another one this morning for my husband and family. I took a slice to have with my mid-morning coffee. Delicious!

Mrs. Van's Dutch Apple Cake
(I took this recipe out of a very old Woman's Day cookbook)

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine
I egg yolk (I put 1 whole egg into my cake)
2 tbsp brandy or milk (I always make mine with milk)
Apples and dried currants, raisins, cranberries or cherries.
Cinnamon topping


Mix together dry ingredients.
Blend in butter or margarine.
Add egg and brandy or milk.
Press dough with fingers into a 9-inch cake pan.
Cover with apples that have been peeled, cored and cut into eighths.
Sprinkle dried fruit on top. (I usually put this on the dough before I add the apples)
Cover with cinnamon topping.


Cinnamon Topping
Blend together:
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Edit: Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Thanks to Vicki for pointing out that I had forgotten this part.

3 comments:

hakucho said...

Your apple cake reminds me of my mom's recipe for apple kuchen. The only difference is that I use a yeast dough. I bet yours is delicious. I love trying new recipes...will have to remember to give yours a try. Thanks for the recipe :)

Pat said...

This sounds very good! I love the azalea. Will you be able to keep it alive inside and then get it to grow in your garden next spring??

Oiyi said...

I love apple cake! Thank you for the recipe.